1 lb ground sausage
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup water
1/4 tsp black pepper
8 oz angel hair pasta
1 container Philadelphia Italian Herb Cooking Creme
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil
1. Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, 5 minutes or until evenly browned, adding garlic for the last minute.
2. Add tomatoes, water and pepper; stir. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat slightly. Simmer for 6 minutes, stirring halfway through.
3. While sausage and tomatoes are simmering, cook pasta according to package directions.
4. Add cooking creme, Parmesan and basil to sausage mixture. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes, until cooking creme is heated through.
5. Drain pasta and return to pot. Add sausage mixture and mix thoroughly so sauce is evenly distributed.
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
1 lb ground sausage
Wednesday, May 1, 2013
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup pine nuts, hazelnuts or walnuts
3-4 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 tbsp lemon juice or juice from 1/2 a lemon
1. Combine the basil in with the nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts or hazelnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.) Add the garlic and lemon juice, pulse a few times more.
2. Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula.
3. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Note: If freezing, do not add the cheese until you've thawed it to use as the cheese does not freeze well.
6 chicken breast halves or cutlets
1 sleeve Ritz crackers
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil, plus more if needed
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup tomato sauce
shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 and lightly spray a 9x13 baking dish with baking spray.
2. In a large bag crush up the whole sleeve of crackers into small pieces with your hands and season with the half teaspoon of kosher salt, shaking to combine.
3. In a shallow dish, whisk together the two eggs and black pepper. Dip the chicken breast halves in one at a time coating both sides and drip any excess egg back into the dish.
4. Add the coated chicken into the bag with the crushed crackers, shake to coat pressing the crackers into the chicken and then place on a large plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken until all of the chicken breast halves are coated.
5. In a large 10 inch non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, work in batches adding two of the chicken breast halves at a time and cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Flip when you notice the edges of the chicken are a deep golden and cook for another 3-4 minutes. After each batch, remove to a paper towel lined plate, blotting to absorb any excess oil and then arrange in the prepared 9x13 baking dish. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
6. Spoon the sauce over top of the chicken leaving pieces exposed. Evenly sprinkle with the Parmesan and cover with foil. Bake 25-30 minutes.
7. Remove foil, top with mozzarella and return the dish back into the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
1 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp white pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
4.5 tbsp flour, divided
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 lb pasta of choice
4 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1.5 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Combine 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp white pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika and 3 tbsp flour in a ziploc bag. Dredge chicken in flour mixture. Set aside.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pot. Toss with 1.5 tbsp butter and chopped parsley. Cover to keep warm.
3. While pasta is cooking, in a large saute pan over medium-high heat, saute chicken in 1.5 tbsp butter, 2-3 minutes each side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
4. Working in the same pan, add 1 tbsp butter, 1/4 tsp salt, onions and mushrooms to pan and cook, stirring, 5 minutes, till beginning to brown. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds. Stir in 1.5 tbsp flour, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Add wine, let it bubble up, then stir up any brown bits at bottom of pan. Add chicken broth and lemon juice. Cook 3-4 minutes, or till gravy consistency is reached, adding additional broth if needed.
5. Put chicken back in pan, reduce heat, cover and simmer on low for 15-20 minutes, stirring and turning chicken once, until chicken is done.
Tuesday, April 23, 2013
2.5 lbs red potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 package uncooked bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 medium onion, diced
2-3 stalks of celery, sliced
8 cups milk
4 cups water
4 chicken bullion cubes (use a cup of the hot potato water to dissolve, then use the cup of hot water in place of one of the above cups of water)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup salted butter
3/4 cup flour
1/4 bunch freshly chopped parsley
1 cup whipping cream
crumbled crispy bacon
chopped green onions or chives
1. In large pot, boil potatoes in water 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. In a sauté pan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain bacon fat and place on paper towel over plate to drain more.
3. Add onion and celery to bacon pan over medium-high heat until celery is tender, about 5 minutes.
4. In a large stock pot, add milk, water, bullion, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture is very hot, about 8 minutes, stirring often. Do not let mixture boil. Meanwhile, in small, heavy saucepan melt butter. Add flour and mix well. Cook over medium-low heat until mixture bubbles, stirring 2 to 3 minutes to make a roux.
5. While constantly stirring soup, add roux slowly until soup is thick and creamy, about 4 minutes. Stir in parsley, potatoes, bacon (reserve some for garnish if desired), celery, onions and cream. Simmer until potatoes and bacon are heated through.
6. Serve garnished with cheese, bacon bits and green onions/chives, if desired.