2.5 lbs red potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 package uncooked bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 medium onion, diced
2-3 stalks of celery, sliced
8 cups milk
4 cups water
4 chicken bullion cubes (use a cup of the hot potato water to dissolve, then use the cup of hot water in place of one of the above cups of water)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup salted butter
3/4 cup flour
1/4 bunch freshly chopped parsley
1 cup whipping cream
crumbled crispy bacon
chopped green onions or chives
1. In large pot, boil potatoes in water 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. In a sauté pan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain bacon fat and place on paper towel over plate to drain more.
3. Add onion and celery to bacon pan over medium-high heat until celery is tender, about 5 minutes.
4. In a large stock pot, add milk, water, bullion, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture is very hot, about 8 minutes, stirring often. Do not let mixture boil. Meanwhile, in small, heavy saucepan melt butter. Add flour and mix well. Cook over medium-low heat until mixture bubbles, stirring 2 to 3 minutes to make a roux.
5. While constantly stirring soup, add roux slowly until soup is thick and creamy, about 4 minutes. Stir in parsley, potatoes, bacon (reserve some for garnish if desired), celery, onions and cream. Simmer until potatoes and bacon are heated through.
6. Serve garnished with sour cream, cheese, bacon bits and green onions/chives, if desired.
Notes: This recipe freezes well. End at Step 5. Garnish after reheating.
Tuesday, April 23, 2013
Sunday, April 7, 2013
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp oil
15 oz fresh baby spinach, rinsed
4 oz cream cheese, cubed
1 pkg (6oz) KRAFT "Fresh Take" Cheddar Jack and Bacon Cheese Breadcrumb mix, mixed together
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9" pie plate with cooking spray.
2. Cook onions and garlic in oil in large skillet over medium heat 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add spinach, cook and stir 4 minutes or until just wilted. Drain; return to pan.
3. Add cream cheese and half the breadcrumb mixture to spinach; mix well. Spoon into pie plate. Top with remaining breadcrumb mixture.
4. Bake 10-12 minutes or until heated through and topping is golden brown.
Friday, April 5, 2013
2 cups fresh broccoli florets
1 cup fresh pre-sliced baby portabellas
1 pkg (6oz) refrigerated four-cheese and bread crumb mix, divided
1 jar (15oz) Alfredo sauce, divided
1.25 lb boneless chicken cutlets
3 tbsp mayonnaise
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375. Chop broccoli and mushrooms into small bite-size pieces. Open bag of bread crumb cheese mix and combine contents until blended.
2. Combine broccoli, mushrooms, 1 cup bread crumb cheese mix and 1 cup Alfredo sauce. Spread remaining sauce in 2-quart baking dish.
3. Coat both sides of chicken with mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Place 1/3 cup broccoli mixture in center of each cutlet, roll chicken around stuffing, and place seam-side down in baking dish. Add remaining broccoli mixture around chicken.
4. Sprinkle remaining bread crumb cheese mix over top of chicken. Bake 25-30 minutes or until chicken is 165 degrees.