1 package (9 oz) refrigerated 3-cheese tortellini
5 cups chicken broth
1 container (10 oz) refrigerated light Alfredo sauce
3-4 plum tomatoes chopped OR 1 (22oz) can chopped tomatoes, drained
5 oz fresh baby spinach
1 oz Parmesan cheese, shaved or shredded
1. Combine broth and Alfredo sauce in a large pot. Bring to a gentle boil and add tortellini.
2. After 3-4 minutes, add tomatoes. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in spinach. Cook for 1-2 minutes to heat through and wilt spinach. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.
Notes: You can add 1 lb browned ground Italian sausage or 1.5 cups of cooked chopped chicken, if desired. Add it at the same time you put in the tortellini.
Saturday, May 21, 2011
Sunday, May 15, 2011
8 oz corkscrew pasta
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
3 zucchini (about 1 lb), thinly sliced
4 ears corn, kernels scraped off
1.5 cups Parmesan cheese, shredded
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
1. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta cooking water and the pot.
2. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add half the garlic and cook until golden, about 30 seconds. Stir in the breadcrumbs and remove from heat.
3. In the reserved pasta pot, heat the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the remaining garlic and cook until golden, about 30 seconds; add zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the corn, cooked pasta and reserved pasta water. Add 1 cup cheese and toss; season with salt and pepper.
4. Stir the remaining cheese and the basil into the breadcrumb mixture and sprinkle on top of the pasta.
Saturday, May 7, 2011
2-2/3 cup dry whole wheat penne
2 cups chopped zucchini
2 cups chopped yellow squash
2 cups canned white beans, rinsed and drained
1 lemon, juiced
1 cup chopped fresh basil
4 tbsp olive oil
Parmesan cheese, to taste
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, adding the squash for the last 2 minutes of cook time; drain.
2. Toss with beans, lemon juice, basil and olive oil. Add Parmesan, as desired, once served.