1 pie crust
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup carrot, finely chopped
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
1/3 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into uniform bite-sized pieces
2 cups leftover turkey, light and dark, diced
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup flour
2 cups turkey or chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
fresh or dried thyme
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400. Put potatoes and green beans in a pot of water. Boil, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Cover and boil an additional 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet. Add carrots, onion and celery. Cook until translucent, a couple of minutes. Add turkey and stir. Sprinkle flour over mixture. Cook over medium heat for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Pour in broth, stirring constantly. Add cream, continuing to stir. Add peas, potatoes and green beans. Bring to a slow boil, and allow mixture to cook and thicken for several minutes. Add salt, pepper and thyme to taste. (Do NOT underseason!)
4. Pour into a casserole dish or deep pie dish. Roll out crust so that it is one inch larger than the dish. Place crust on top of pot pie mixture, pressing crust into sides of dish. Cut vents into top of crust.
5. Place in oven on baking pan to catch any drips. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Allow to cool for a bit before serving.
Saturday, November 26, 2011
1 pie crust