2 cups (packed) fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup drained canned diced tomatoes
3 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, peeled
2 large leeks (white and pale green parts only), chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled, diced
1 6-ounce white-skinned potato, peeled, diced
3 tbsp water
8 cups canned vegetable broth
1/2 cup orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
6 oz green beans, trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 can (15 oz) cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed, drained
1/4 tsp dried crushed red pepper
2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. For pesto: Puree all ingredients in processor. Season with salt and pepper. (Pesto can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
2. For soup: Combine first 4 ingredients in heavy large pot. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until vegetables are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
3. Add broth; bring to boil. Stir in orzo; boil uncovered until orzo is almost tender, stirring often, about 12 minutes.
4. Add green beans; reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender, about 6 minutes.
5. Stir in cannellini and crushed pepper; simmer until heated through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Divide pesto among 4 bowls. Ladle soup over pesto; swirl to blend. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese.
Wednesday, January 6, 2010